Friday, January 15, 2016

Feminism: Equality or Matriarchy?

Although all the feminist quotes going around the internet these days shows that patriarchy is still an issue, we have definitely made significant progress in recent years. The quotes show that an issue exists, but they also show that people are aware of the problem. What’s more, the general attitude towards what would be considered a “shrew” is much more positive now. Instead of a bossy woman just being considered an unattractive witch, she can be considered confident and ambitious today (of course, if she takes it too far, she can still be called an unattractive witch – but then that applies to everyone in society).

I think the fundamental idea behind feminism is great, but I'm not particularly fond of the word. The word feminism seems to focus more on the female side of things as opposed to the equality side of things. Because of the more radical feminists out there who seem to think building women up requires breaking men down, the feminist movement has become somewhat of a joke. This is very unfortunate, because it creates increases animosity between some people within society. Depending on how the word is defined, I might or might not consider myself a feminist. Since the term has a very negative connotation nowadays that is very skewed from the dictionary definition of it, I wouldn't consider myself a feminist at all. 

This quote is a solid example of how women are sometimes assessed entirely based on how aesthetically pleasing their body is instead of what type of person they are and what the contribute to society. The more I think about these words, the more I hope it was said in an ironic, sarcastic way.

In my opinion, it’s impossible for men and women to be completely equal because of biological differences, but we should still strive for equality in society. While we should strive for equality, I think that right now, there is far too much unnecessary drama about equality and human rights. I am of the opinion that equality can be achieved in a more efficient manner, but that may just be me being naive (humans can be rather frustrating...). A woman’s person's role inside and outside the home depends on the individual and there is no way to make a quick and easy rule that covers all cases. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, it's interesting to hear you break down the intended definition and its current connotation. I'm curious, what do you mean when you write that if women "take it too far" they might still be considered "unattractive witches"? Naming some of those things up front can improve the strength of your blog. I also hope that the quote was intended as irony, but I always have my doubts. Keep up the solid work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's an example taken from a hypothetical workplace (since I wrote about bossy, ambitious women): If a woman, or anyone for that matter, micromanages her subordinates in a way that is not very tactful, then people are bound to see her in negative light. Even though she means well, her overbearing attitude could end up destroying her company from the inside out.

    In retrospect, I should have clarified in my "unattractive witch" statement that it's not just the confidence or ambition that is taken too far, but rather the negative aspects of those traits such as arrogance, greed, or being too power-hungry. Thanks for the feedback, Ms. Raths!

    ReplyDelete