Thursday, March 17, 2016

Indifferent Ian

My full name is Ian Sean Huang in English, and it sounds basically the same in Chinese (but with accents). I've actually never thought too much about my name, so I haven't noted anything about it except for the interesting that it's in many words, and it's exactly half of my sister's name. My mom named me Ian because it's the Scottish version of John, which means "God is gracious" (my middle name, Sean, is the Irish version of John). There's no particular reason why she chose the Scottish and Irish versions of John, except that my name Ian in English is practically identical in sound and meaning to my Chinese name (I wish I could type it... edit: 奕恩). I'm mostly indifferent towards my name, but it's been growing on me because I've started to appreciate that it's a rare enough name to be somewhat interesting, but common enough that I don't have to explain it everywhere. It's also a
very convenient length. Even though I'm not a very devout Christian at this stage of life (who knows what I'll be later on...), I think my name fits me quite well. I remember a short time when I felt a little bit insecure about the somewhat strangeness of my name, but that was just because I was insecure overall. My name has never actually held me back in anything. I think the reason why Gogol hates his name so much is because he had grown up with the idea that it's inconvenient and completely meaningless, until he learns that Gogol was a sick and depressed author who died a virgin. At the end of chapter 5, his dad finally tells him the whole story, and he ends up just being confused because of the opposing viewpoints on his own name in his mind.

2 comments:

  1. Good post, Ian! It's rather interesting that your mom had such an interest in the name John but chose to use derivatives of the name instead and didn't actually use John. You must also be really lucky to have an American name that fits your Chinese name as well! Is there any reason that your parents chose a name that was half of your sister's name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Ian! I found it really cool that your mom gave you two variations of the name John. I didn't know that your middle name was Sean! I know a lot of people that pick American names that sound similar to their ethnic names, similar to you. Good job!

    ReplyDelete